Our school has a thoughtful and wide-ranging promotion of pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development.
Pupils explore beliefs and experience; respect faiths, feelings and values; enjoy learning about oneself, others and the surrounding world; use imagination and creativity; reflect.
Pupils get the opportunity to recognise right and wrong; respect the law; understand consequences; investigate moral and ethical issues; offer reasoned views.
Pupils can use a range of social skills; participate in the local community; appreciate diverse viewpoints; participate, volunteer and cooperate; resolve conflict; engage with the ‘British values’ of democracy, the rule of law, liberty, respect and tolerance.
Through our programmes, pupils can learn to appreciate cultural influences; appreciate the role of Britain’s parliamentary system; participate in culture opportunities; understand, accept, respect and celebrate diversity.
At Coal Clough Academy, we implement a system of ‘Personalised Learning’. This means that each and every pupil gets the exact experience that they need to progress.
This approach to SMSC is reinforced through our delivery of Personal, Social, Health and Economic lessons. Pupils access a minimum of one lesson of PSHE a week where we are able to impart the importance of Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development alongside the development of understanding of British Values. At Coal Clough Academy we use PSHE and the whole school curriculum to place an emphasis on developing the skills that pupils will need for future learning, often referring to resilience, a growth mind-set and perseverance.
Further to the topics covered in PSHE Our school recognises the importance that Relationship and Sex Education (RSE) can play in contributing to the development of healthy young people and our curriculum is designed to ensure that our students have access to all the teaching and resources that are required to enable them to make prudent judgements about sex and relationships.
The aims of relationships and sex education (RSE) at Coal Clough Academy are to:
- Provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place
- Prepare students for puberty, and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene
- Help students develop feelings of self-respect, confidence, and empathy
- Create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships
- Teach students the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies
The objective of RSE is to help and support young people through their physical, emotional, and moral development. A successful programme, firmly embedded in PSHE, will help young people learn to respect themselves and others and move with confidence from childhood through adolescence into adulthood.
At Coal Clough Academy we will aim to:
- Foster self-esteem, self-awareness, and a sense of personal moral responsibility
- Encourage self-respect and consideration for others
- Help develop skills in communication, decision-making and assertiveness
- Prepare students to avoid unnecessary risks and dangers
“I wish to say a big thank you for all the positive changes that have been made. I am genuinely blown away by what has been achieved in such a short space of time”